Assosciate Professor (FH)
Department of Applied Informatics – eHealth
University of Applied Science – FH Joanneum
March 2005 – July 2012
Ph.D. / Doctor scientiæ medicæ, Medical University of Vienna – Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Physics , Vienna, Austria. Title: “Realtime Assessment of Vigilance based on Integrated EOG Biosignal Pattern Recognition” / Neurology research, clinical studies, neuronal networks (HMM), integrated hardware development, Matlab based pattern recognition
August 2000 – January 2005
MSc. / Dipl.-Ing., Technical University of Dresden – Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Dresden, Germany. Title: “EOG controlled systems with body-area-network connectivity” / Integrated hardware development, Integrated DSP programming, Matlab based model development
January 2017 – March 2019
Scientific Coordinator Active and Assisted Living Solutions, AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH, Vienna, Austria.
Field: Research field Clinical Diagnostics and Therapy Monitoring (CDTM); Tasks: Scientific Strategy, Research and Development Coordination
March 2009 – March 2019
R&D Project Manager, AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH, Vienna, Austria.
Field: Research / Biomedical Engineering; Tasks: Project Management and research in national and international research projects in the areas of neurology, psychophysiological measurements and signal analysis, artificial intelligence, embodied systems, robotics, haemodynamic system and Ambient Intelligence (middleware, services, interoperability, architecture, standards, medical device communication etc.)
January 2015 – November 2016
R&D Project Manager and Senior Researcher, Universiy of Geneva – Institute of Services Science, Geneva, Switzerland.
Field: Research / Robotics and Cognitive Systems; Tasks: Managing and leading the project team; Coordination of the working groups engaged in project work; Organizing and participating in seminars and conferences; Design and implement the Communication and Dissemination strategy; Detailed project planning and control including: developing and maintaining a detailed project plan and managing project deliverables in line with the project plan; Monitoring project progress and performance; Providing financial and scientific reports to European Research Council Executive Agency
April 2013 – May 2014
R&D Project Development Consultant, Instituto Pedro Nunes IPN, Coimbra, Portugal.
Field: Applied Research; Tasks: Identification of project opportunities related to European Commission Programmes, including participation at events and conferences: Horizon 2020, AAL, EIP-AHA, CIP, EIT-Health, Eureka etc; Business development relations, forming consortium, developing new projects; Developing partnerships between R & D organizations; Working in international, multinational teams to write, develop and submit projects; Participation in events, seminars, conferences taking place all over Europe, in order to find new cooperation opportunities; Support and implementation of EU projects)
October 2005 – March 2009
Scientific assistant and developer (Hardware), ARC Seibersdorf research GmbH, Vienna, Austria.
Field: Research / Biomedical Engineering; Tasks: design, development and programming of sensor systems
May 2004 – October 2005
Internship, ARC Seibersdorf research GmbH, Vienna, Austria.
Field: Research / Biomedical Engineering; Tasks: design, development of a wireless based EOG device for controlling
January 2004 – May 2004
Internship, Sulzer Metco (US) Inc., Westbury N.Y., U.S.A..
Field: Material Research, Task: database development
August 2000 – February 2001
Internship, Mannesmann Dematic AG, Department for Electrical Engineering and Automation Engineering, Wetter, Germany.
Field: Intelligent logistic solutions; Task: programming of control systems of warehouse and port cranes (in C / C++)
April 2000 – May 2000
Internship, SAIA Burgess, Dresden, Germany.
Field: Control / Automation engineering; Task: Programming of multiphase and stepping motors
Affiliations to Research Projects
Current Research Projects
- vCare (Virtual Coaching Activities for Rehabilitation in Elderly) – EU / H2020 – work package leader
- Memento (A persuasive system supporting Memory and Moments of people with Early and Middle stage of dementia) – EU / AAL JP – technical manager, work package leader, research and development
- Acrossing (Advanced TeChnologies and PlatfoRm fOr Smarter ASsisted LivING) – EU / H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Action – work package leader
- Follow.Me (The Follow.Me platform aims to create an easy to use system to locate people and provide information when they leave a specific area) – EU / AAL JP – work package leader
- GrowMeUp (Social Robotics) – EU / H2020 – work package leader, research and development
Past Research Projects
- DOREMI (Decrease of cOgnitive decline, malnutRition and sedEntariness by elderly empowerment in lifestyle Management and social Inclusion) – EU / FP7 – work package leader
- CogniWin (Cognitive Support for older adults at work) – EU / AAL JP – project manager, work package leader, research and development
- Miraculous-Life (Miraculous Life for elderly independent living) – EU / FP7 -technical manager, work package leader
- universAAL (universal open platform and reference specification for Ambient Assisted Living) – EU / FP7 – project management, research and development
- KlaVig (Classification of vigilance stages based on EOG and EEG pattern recognition) – FFG / national funding – project management, research and development
- CompanionAble (Integrated Cognitive Assistive & Domotic Companion Robotic Systems for Ability & Security) – EU / FP7 – research and development
- CaMeLi (Care Me for Life) – EU / AAL JP – consultant, research and development
- Co-Living (ICT-based Virtual Collaborative Social Living Community for Elderly) – EU / AAL JP – consultant, research and development
- Bedmond (Behaviour Pattern Based Assistant for Early Detection and Management Of Neurodegenerative Diseases) – EU / AAL JP – research and development
- BioSig (Aufbereitung von Biosignalen aus hochflexiblen Elektrodensystemen) – FFG / national funding – project management, research and development
- MPOWER (Middleware Platforms for Health Applications) – EU / FP6 – project management, research and development
- FES Bike (FES Fahrradsystem für Paraplegiker) – FFG / national funding – project management, research and development
- Working Member of the Governing Board of Ambient Assisted Living Open Association (AALOA)
- Working Member of the Austrian standardization group ÖN238.4 for Medical Device Communication
- Working Member of the ISO IEEE 11073 Personal Health Data Working Group